Earlier today, HUD sent an email announcing that the initial chapters of a New Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) Guidebook have been published. As the email states, guidebooks consolidate “into one document the requirements outlined in several publications: regulatory requirements, PIH Notices, Federal Register Notices, and other forms of guidance issued by HUD.” Given the complexity of navigating between several layers of regulation and guidance, having a single place to view all of a program’s rules and requirements is essential.
The three chapters that have been completed and can be read online are the following:
- “Eligibility Determination and Denial of Assistance“;
- “Moves and Portability“; and
- “Rent Reasonableness.”
Chapters still being worked on include the following:
- “Fair Housing Requirements”;
- “Waiting List & Tenant Selection”;
- “Housing Search and Leasing”;
- “HAP Contracts”;
- “Payment Standards”;
- “Calculating Rent & Housing Assistance Payments (HAP)”;
- “Utility Allowance”;
- “Informal Hearings & Reviews”; and
- “Special Housing Type.”
NAHRO applauds HUD updating their Housing Choice Voucher Guidebook. During the summer of 2018, NAHRO sent a letter to HUD noting the importance of the guidebooks and urging HUD to prioritize updating them.
The HCV Guidebook can be accessed here.