The deadline to apply for an expedited waiver has been extended to April 1. The CARES Act waivers, which were passed as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic expired at the end of 2021. A more limited set of regulatory waivers were created in PIH Notice 2021-31 titled “Expedited Regulatory Waivers for the Public Housing and Housing Choice Voucher (including Mainstream and Mod Rehab) Programs.” PHAs must apply for these waivers to be able to use them and must apply by April 1. After April 1, PHAs may still apply for the waivers, but they will not be processed as quickly. Available waivers include the following:
- A waiver to set the Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program payment standard up to 120% of the fair market rent (FMR);
- A waiver to increase the payment standard for a family at any time after the effective date of the increase, instead of the next regular reexamination;
- A waiver to waive the application of SEMAP for PHAs with certain fiscal year ends;
- A waiver to grant a voucher term of extension without changing the administrative plan; and
- A waiver to extend homeownership assistance for an additional year.
Instructions on how to apply for these expedited waivers can be found here.