On Wednesday, May 24, NAHRO attended the roundtable discussion: The Importance of the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and HOME Investment Partnership (HOME) programs. The House Committee on Financial Services Ranking Member Maxine Waters (D-CA), as well as Rep. Dan Kildee (D-MI) and Rep. Emanuel Cleaver II (D-MOS) led the roundtable to discuss the Administration’s proposed Fiscal Year (FY) 2018 budget, which currently eliminates both of these essential housing and community development programs. The Ranking Members facilitated conversations with community leaders to stress the significance of the programs in regards to housing, infrastructure, economic development, public health resources, and safety in various communities.
- The Honorable Karen Freeman-Wilson, Mayor of the City of Gary, Indiana
- The Honorable David P. Helms, Mayor of the Town of Marion, Virginia
- Robin Hughes, President & CEO, Abode Communities: Los Angeles, CA
- Bonnie Moore, Director of Community Development, City of Shreveport, Louisiana and President, National Community Development Association
- The Honorable Ed Pawlowski, Mayor of the City of Allentown, Pennsylvania
- Renee Price, Commissioner of Orange County, North Carolina
- Bill Shelton, Director, Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development and Council of State Community Development Agencies
- Schroeder Stribling, Executive Director, N Street Village: Washington, D.C.